Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday just behind the 4th of July. I love the food! It’s pretty much a table full of carbohydrates! I mean when else do you get to see stuffing, macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and some type of cheesy rice all on one table? You don’t!
Sweet potatoes have never been my favorite item on the Thanksgiving table. In fact it’s one of the items that I normally skip. About ten years ago I came across this recipe. Not only is the presentation absolutely lovely but they taste incredible too.
Sweet Potato Oranges
Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. Ready: 50 min. Serves: 6
- 6 oranges
- 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Prepare oranges by cutting tops off, 1/4 to 1/2 inch down. Spoon out the flesh, leaving a shell.
- In a large bowl combine sweet potatoes, sugar, orange juice, eggs, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup butter and grated orange peel. Spoon mixture into orange shells. Place in a deep casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, flour and pecans. Cook until sugar dissolves in melted butter. Spoon over oranges. Fill casserole dish with water to reach 1/2 inch in depth.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
The original recipe can be found here on AllRecipes.com