This recipe was adapted from Simply Keto on page 202.
I’ve told you guys a thousand times we’re a texture family! David does not eat gluten free, he doesn’t have a gluten allergy, etc. He typically likes everything that I fix but it’s a texture thing for him. So when I made the chicken tenders from Simply Keto I knew not to ever serve these to him. When I think of chicken tenders I think of a crispy outer layer with a juicy piece of chicken (no bone). The one from Simply Keto was baked not fried and the breading was flaxseed so it wasn’t crispy really at all. Not what I was expecting.
I think when you’ve eaten real food for basically your entire life you know what something is supposed to taste like and your taste buds are expecting that texture and flavor. Which is essentially what I do in my blog. I take recipes from our bookclub or I create my own recipes but I try to get the meal/dish to be as close to the real thing as possible. I’m trying to make it so that even the non keto or gluten loving family members won’t notice the difference.
I told David way before we had Kricket that I wasn’t making all of these dishes like I’ve seen our friends do. I’m making one dinner and that’s it! More specifically this was for David’s information because he was the one that I was making these extra dishes for.
I know every family is experiencing higher grocery bills and I’m trying to create more dishes that you can get more bang for your buck. For example the chicken breast that I get at our grocery store has three breasts per package (granted it’s now over $10 when it used to be $5-$6) but I was able to only use 1/2 of one breast and save the rest for more meals. I will continue to do this. I’ve also tried to start linking the ingredients on Amazon and Amazon Fresh. I know some people are anti Amazon but I’ve found that SOME of their products are incredibly cheaper than at the grocery store (for example their spices are ridiculously cheap!) but more importantly you can get it delivered to your door and aren’t having to drive / use gas. I’ve ordered produce from them and have been very happy except for their avocados. That’s the only thing I wouldn’t order from them.
I know we’re all feeling these price increases and I will continue to help you out!
What you’ll need:
- 3 Tablespoons almond Flour (if you have a Sam’s Club membership buy this there and if you have the premier membership shipping is free)
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed
- 1 Tablespoon Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (I prefer Califa Almond Milk it has 0 carbs but Blue Diamond Almond Milk is also a great choice with only 1 carb. Be careful when buying almond milk I was at the grocery store and happened to grab Silk Almond Milk and it had 12 carbs!!!!!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine egg wash ingredients in a seperate bowl and mix well.
- Cut chicken breast into strips then cut each strip into 1/2 long ways. (Kricket and I were the only ones that had this for dinner and 1/2 of a chicken breast was plenty! The chicken breast at our grocery store are also VERY thick.)
- Spray air fryer tray with non-stick cooking spray. (I coated the heck out of the tray and they still stuck but clean up was a breeze!)
- Dip each chicken strip in egg wash then roll it around in the breading mixture. It should stick pretty well.
- Place chicken strip in the air fryer tray. Repeat with the remaining strips.
- Turn air fryer to air fry function at 400 degrees and set the time for 30 minutes.
- DO NOT FLIP! They will be a pretty golden color and still very juicy. You could cook another 5 minutes if you’d like them a bit darker but I would recommend brining the chicken is salt water for thirty minutes if you have time.
Ok, so let’s be real for a second … Did you buy an air fryer during the pandemic?!
Disclosure: Some of the links included in this blog post are affiliate links, meaning that, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase.