Can you believe that there’s only one more week left in October? I’ve always thought time flew by and I remember my mom telling me as a child that if I already thought it flew by I was screwed because time only gets faster as you grow up. Now that we have Kricket nothing has ever been more true.
Thanksgiving is one of my FAVORITE holidays. It’s in a VERY close tie with the 4th of July. I really don’t know which one I love more. Both bring different feelings and memories. I can blow stuff up on the 4th but I can burn stuff in our fire pit on Thanksgiving and I’m not sweating. So maybe Thanksgiving wins. 🙂 Whatever, I LOVE the food that’s served on both holidays, HAHAHAHAHA!
The holidays proved to be a bit more of a challenge with the whole celiac, low carb and sugar free diet that I’m required to follow. Like I’ve told you guys my biggest goal is to make the foods that I love but that are Gluten Free, they’re low carb and when I say low carb I mean low carb as well as being sugar free. When I eat a piece of cake I want it to taste like cake. I want the same texture, consistency, etc. This has proven to be more of a challenge.
I made a Gluten Free / Sugar Free / Keto Pumpkin Pie a few years ago for Thanksgiving. I didn’t have a problem with it. The texture was spot on and it had an almond flour crust. However, my mom said that it was horrible and that it didn’t have any flavor …. So I won’t be taking that again!
I found this Pumpkin Coffee Cake recipe in our May book club pick. Keto Instant Pot it’s on page 44. I’ve changed a few things about this recipe. To me coffee cake is all about the streusel topping. The cook book called for confectioners sugar. To me a streusel topping is more grainy so I’ve used a little bit more almond flour and instead of confectioners sweetener I’ve used granular sweetener and brown sugar.
The other changes that I’ve made are to use the instant pot silicone sling instead of the trivet and her makeshift sling. The instant pot sling does the trick and it has this little latch so that you can secure the handles when you seal the Instant Pot. The other change is that I found the most amazing Instant Pot cake pan. It’s almost like a silicone springform pan. It has a glass base so you can simply set it on your cake plate for serving. I read somewhere that it was better to use something with a glass base. No clue if it’s true but this is a great cake pan and so easy to clean. Since I used a silicone cake pan I did NOT line it with parchment paper I just sprayed the heck out of the cake pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
Since you can set the glass base on your cake plate there’s no need to invert / flip your cake to get it out of the pan. The sides simply peel away!
Now when it comes to texture with this cake I want you to know that it does NOT have the texture of a coffee cake it’s more like a pumpkin pie with a coffee cake topping and center.
To me the sweetness was just right. Remember that you’re still going to put the glaze on top which is out of confectioners sweetener and will definitely add more sweetness to your slice.
Yes, I did eat this coffee cake for breakfast with my coffee and it was delicious. Kricket got to have 1/2 a slice in the afternoon when she woke up from her nap. As you guys know I want her to think that she’s had sugar and hasn’t been a deprived child! I don’t want her to go somewhere and be like SUGAR!!!!
I have a few more dessert recipes that I’ll be trying out for Thanksgiving but as of right now this is the recipe that I’m planning on taking to my mom and stepdad’s for Thanksgiving lunch. Be sure to check out my November book club pick which is all about baking!
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons Swerve Granular Sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons Swerve Brown Sugar Sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup Swerve confectioners sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (I prefer Califa it has 0 cabs but Blue Diamond is another great choice with 1 carb.)
- 1/2 cup Swerve confectioners sweetener
- Put one cup of cold water in Instant Pot. Spray cake pan with non-stick spray. If you use the cake pan that I use you don’t need to line it with parchment paper.
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Put all cake ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix until completely combined.
- Put 1/2 of the cake mixture in the cake pan, then put 1/2 of the streusel mixture. Repeat layers.
- Put cake pan on the silicone sling and insert into the Instant Pot. Secure silicone sling handles.
- Seal Instant Pot and turn to the manual setting. Set the timer for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally (30 minutes). Use the silicone sling handles to remove the cake. The handles will be hot so make sure to use an oven mitt!
- To make the glaze simply whisk the almond milk and sweetener. Mine was a little runny but did thicken up after it sat for a bit. You could also always add some xantham gum.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- If you’re using my cake pan simply remove the cake pan from the sling. Set the cake pan on your cake plate and remove the lock/seal and then remove the outer piece of the cake pan (this is why I LOVE this cake pan there’s no flipping, etc.)
- Put glaze in a ziplock bag and cut one tip to drizzle all over the cake!
Are you hosting Thanksgiving this year? Have you started planning your menu yet? If so what will you be serving?
Disclosure: Some of the links included in this blog post are affiliate links, meaning that, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase.